Pentium M and P4 question / and a failed test

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Oct 2 14:14:37 CEST 2007

Sisyphus wrote:

> [...]

The shells used by Cygwin as well as MinGW just are terribly slow compared
to the ones under Linux/MacOSX. I have some python code that uses execlp()
+ startup of child processes (via pexpect) that takes 2-5 times as long
compared to doing it under Linux on the same hardware. I am sure that the
Cygwin and MinGW developers are aware of the problem, but my guess is that
it isn't obvious to fix and probably due to the need to emulate POSIX
functionality on top of the Windows kernel in userspace.

> If there are no explanations forthcoming here, I'm sure that someone on
> the
> Cygwin mailing list would be able to help out.
>
>> I'll have rename the directory structure to get rid of spaces.
>
> I think that would be a good idea.

Yep, spaces and anything non 7 bit ASCII in file names and/or directories
is generally a bad idea :)

> Cheers,
> Rob

Cheers,