no usable m4 in $path or /usr/5bin

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Jul 6 21:32:50 CEST 2012

"Randy Eastland" <randy.eastland at gmail.com> writes:

  Thank you for getting back to me. I don't even know what that means "Install
  m4". What is m4?

It is a program, specifically a macro processor.

  It seems like every time something doesn't work in the installation of GMP,
  the answer is to install something else. First I have to install MinGW. Then
  I have to install gcc. Now I have to install m4? Does this trip down the
  rabbit hole have an end? (sorry for venting)

We haven't yet figured out a way of compiling without a compiler, for
which we are really sorry.