no usable m4 in $path or /usr/5bin

Randy Eastland randy.eastland at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:43:07 CEST 2012

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the issue for people who are new to this
stuff is that we don't anticipate these things. As a result, I've spent a
week trying to get GMP installed with no success. It took me a day to learn
that I needed MinGW. Then I got that installed only to hit a dead end. Then
it took another day to figure out that GCC wasn't installed and even more
time to figure out how to do that. And now I need to learn about something
called "m4", which I don't give two craps about other than it seems to be
necessary to get GMP working. I fully expect that once I get m4 working
there will be yet another road block. Frankly, had I known this process
would be so time consuming, I never would have started it.

You guys do a great job, but as a suggestion maybe there could be something
like a "GMP for Dummies" page that give some very high level concepts to
speed up these things that you probably assume are basic knowledge. Just an
idea.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.