Request to mailing list gmp-devel rejected

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Sun Feb 12 11:16:01 CET 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 10:04 +0000, Paul Leyland wrote:
> I sent a brief report of a build failure of 5.0.4 on an OpenBSD machine,
> with promises of a full bug report when I've more time.  In return I
> received this friendly response.
>
> On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 10:53 +0100, gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org wrote:
> > Your request to the gmp-devel mailing list

It gets better.  The mail to gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org bounced as
follows:

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 09:55 +0000, Mail Delivery System wrote:

> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

>   gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org>:
>     host smtp.gmplib.org [130.237.222.241]: 550 5.7.1
<gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org>:
>     Recipient address rejected: Address blocked due to spamming.
Please contact us by phone for listadmin issues.

> ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers.
------

Now I'm damned if I'm going to contact them by phone, especially as no
phone number is given.  Am I supposed to go off on some wild Google
chase?

Is there any evidence whatsoever that I am now or have ever been a
spammer?  If so, I would very much like to see it, and to see how well
that evidence correlates with my own system logs.

Doesn't all this give you the impression that some people try really
hard to discourage any form of contribution to what is supposedly a
community supported effort?

An object lesson in how to lose friends and alienate people.   8-(

Paul