Request to mailing list gmp-devel rejected

Paul Leyland paul at leyland.vispa.com
Sun Feb 12 11:04:37 CET 2012

I sent a brief report of a build failure of 5.0.4 on an OpenBSD machine,
with promises of a full bug report when I've more time.  In return I
received this friendly response.

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 10:53 +0100, gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org wrote:
> Your request to the gmp-devel mailing list
>
>     Posting of your message titled "Failure of 5.0.4 on sparc64"
>
> has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
> following reason for rejecting your request:
>
> "Wrong mailing list.  This list is for technical discussions of GMP
> development issues between GMP developers."
>
> Any questions or comments should be directed to the list administrator
> at:
>
>     gmp-devel-owner at gmplib.org

Fine.  If you want my assistance, please redirect my mail to your
opinion of the correct list.

Otherwise, I'll say to hell with it and do something else with my time.
In particular, something which helps me rather more than it may help
others.

IMO, there have been far too many occasions over the last few years
where some members of the GMP community seem to have been actively
discouraging those who wish to donate their time and effort to help
others.   Actually, that's unfair as it appears to ascribe
unfriendliness to malice rather than a more charitable accusation of
incompetence.

Paul