Efficiently importing/export GMP floats

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Mon Jan 17 15:25:50 CET 2011

* foxmuldrster at yahoo.com <foxmuldrster at yahoo.com> [Jan 17. 2011 15:11]:
> I do not see where network byte order is in any way desirable, as it
> necessarily mandates manipulation on any machine with an alternate
> native endian format.

Are you kidding?
Note the "overhead" is usually a single machine instruction (bswap).

> Since it's most likely and often to be the case where a single
> machine is used to write / read its own data for later processing,
> why not indicate in the size byte you propose a single bit for
> endianess?

Making the overhead come back, conditionally...

> And then use the full lower 6 bits to indicate size byte
> count? You'll keep your one byte zero form, lose your one byte
> up-to-15 form, yet gain up to 63 bytes for size, AND preserve the
> native endianness of the machine.
>
> Requiring conversions both in and out on some architectures seems
> wholly undesirable.

Undesirable as in _networking_ ?

> It should only be required whenever it happens
> to be different.

You do not know in general if it's required.

You can always patch away that single instruction,
saving you about 1 second per stored gigabyte.

> It should also be a forcible setting, meaning if I know I'm
> generating data for an alternate or known endian architecture, I can
> force it to write it out that way regardless of what machine I'm on.

Hell, no!

> - Rick

cheers,  jj