Efficiently importing/export GMP floats

foxmuldrster at yahoo.com foxmuldrster at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 15:01:33 CET 2011

I do not see where network byte order is in any way desirable, as it necessarily mandates manipulation on any machine with an alternate native endian format.

Since it's most likely and often to be the case where a single machine is used to write / read its own data for later processing, why not indicate in the size byte you propose a single bit for endianess? And then use the full lower 6 bits to indicate size byte count? You'll keep your one byte zero form, lose your one byte up-to-15 form, yet gain up to 63 bytes for size, AND preserve the native endianness of the machine.

Requiring conversions both in and out on some architectures seems wholly undesirable. It should only be required whenever it happens to be different.

It should also be a forcible setting, meaning if I know I'm generating data for an alternate or known endian architecture, I can force it to write it out that way regardless of what machine I'm on.

- Rick