GMP 4.3.0 released

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Apr 15 19:59:57 CEST 2009

Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> It is my great pleasure to announce the availability a new major release of
> the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP).  The new release is
> identified as 4.3.0.

Hi Torbjorn,

congratulations and thank you for the new release.

>   Speedups:
>   * Vastly improved assembly code for x86-64 processors from AMD and Intel.

I have run a couple of application programs based on the Parma Polyhedra
Library (PPL), which heavily depends on GMP.  On an AMD Opteron 2384 "Shanghai"
I got the following running times (best run out of 10):

         Application A                   Application B

     GMP 4.2.4    GMP 4.3.0          GMP 4.2.4    GMP 4.3.0

       238 s        187 s              34.2 s       34.8 s

On an Intel Core2 Q9400, instead, I got:

         Application A                   Application B

     GMP 4.2.4    GMP 4.3.0          GMP 4.2.4    GMP 4.3.0

       339 s        213 s              29.8 s       28.9 s

>   Misc:
>   * The gmp_version variable now always contains three parts.  For this
>     release, it is "4.3.0".

Aaargh!  This broke our GMP detection procedure.  Moreover,
PPL 0.10.1 was released only a few hours before the release of
GMP 4.3.0.  I guess now we have no choice but release PPL 0.10.2
with a revised GMP detection procedure.

Was a release candidate made available and announced somewhere?
If so, I would like to subscribe the list for this kind of
announcements.
Thanks again,

     Roberto

--