Windows Binaries for GMP 4.2.2

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 20 01:54:49 CEST 2007

Alexey Beshenov wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2007 03:37, Michael Abshoff wrote:
>
>> > Please remember that GMP is not in the public domain.  It is GNU
>> > licensed Free Software, and this license requires that everybody that
>> > gets binaries or sources are informed about their rights that the
>> > license gives them.
>
>> you are right about the need to follow the license. I have disabled
>> download for now and I will wait for Brian to send me updated zip files.
>> My guess is that this shouldn't take more than a day.
>
> And I think that it's better to include a note that these binaries could
> not
> be used in free software since they were built with Microsoft Visual
> Studio
> C/C++ libraries.

Well, that is clearly wrong. You can compile GPLed/LGPLed software with
the Microsoft compiler, there is no difference to using a compiler like
gcc. Many pieces of Open Source do not compile with MSVC, but that is a
completely different subject. If you mean that you cannot link those
libraries against some code compiled under Cygwin [without jumping through
hoops for C, next to impossible to link against anything C++] then you are
correct.

Cheers,

Michael