[MPFR] Re: Is there a platform optimized version of gmp for INTEL?

Jürgen Kahrs Juergen.Kahrs at vr-web.de
Tue Jan 2 10:42:49 CET 2007

Patrick Pelissier wrote:

>> (2) We
>> have to optimize the code and make it faster by a speedup of hundreds to
>> thousands times.
>
> Such a speedup can only be reached by an algorithm optimization (if
> possible).

That's right. When reading Michael's messages, I always
wonder why he insists on speeding up GMP and MPFR.
I bet that GMP and MPFR are those parts of his software
that already _are_ near the optimum run-time efficiency.

As you (Patrick) suggested, Michael should concentrate on
speeding up the algorithm that makes use of MPFR. It sounds
like his algorithm follows a brute-force approach of trying
all possible combinations of values of some variables.