gmp compilers questions?

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 21 12:43:50 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Abshoff" <Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de>
To: <gmp-discuss at swox.com>
Cc: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: gmp compilers questions?

> Hello,
>

> > I personally don't like Cygwin - but they *do* provide a 64-bit compiler
> > (afaik), which MinGW does not (if that's a consideration for you).
>
> According to
> http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.what.supported this
> appears not to be the case for x86-64. There is something for Windows on
> Itanium but I would assume that the number of people working in the
> scientific community on that platform could easily fit in a rather small
> room :). To quote from the Cygwin FAQ:
>
>   As far as we know no one is working on a native 64 bit version of
Cygwin.

Oh ... I'm certainly not endowed with enough self-confidence to take on the
Cygwin FAQ :-)

But I'm sure that Tim Prince said (on the gcc mailing list) that Cygwin's
gcc provided 64-bit support, whereas MinGW's did not. No matter - I'll just
assume that I misunderstood what Tim told me (which is most likely the case,
anyway :-)

Cheers,
Rob