gmp compilers questions?

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Nov 21 12:58:07 CET 2006

Hello,

> Oh ... I'm certainly not endowed with enough self-confidence to take on
> the
> Cygwin FAQ :-)

since I couldn't find a revision date I wouldn't put too much confidence
in the CygWin FAQ, specifically since it doesn't mention the Windows 64 on
Itanium port.

> But I'm sure that Tim Prince said (on the gcc mailing list) that Cygwin's
> gcc provided 64-bit support, whereas MinGW's did not. No matter - I'll
> just
> assume that I misunderstood what Tim told me (which is most likely the
> case,
> anyway :-)

I assume that Tim Prince is correct, since I have read emails stating the
same facts. One would just assume that the Cygwin people would advertise
the fact a little more :) (if such a port existed). I am not afraid of
building software from snapshots CVS, but knowing about the existence is a
requirement for that to happen. The problem may not be the missing
compiler support but Windows internals. I read somewhere that Windows does
weired things to pointer sizes in order to keep backward compability to
its 32bit API, but this discussion would certainly go beyond the scope of
gmp-discuss, and I am certainly no expert on porting cygwin to Windows, so
I will shut up :)

> Cheers,
> Rob

Cheers,