64-bit GMP on Apple G5/OS X v10.4

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Wed Apr 27 18:16:10 CEST 2005

pbmcl at netscape.net writes:

  Apple's latest version of OS X (10.4 Tiger, to be released April
  29th) includes support for true 64-bit operation on its G5 models
  which use the PowerPC 970 processor. Using a pre-release version
  of Tiger, I have been able to build and use a 64-bit version of
  GMP-4.1.4 without problems. The 64-bit build of Paul Zimmerman's
  GMP-ECM program runs 2.2 to 2.3 times faster than the 32-bit
  version.

That's a fair speedup.  With tailored assembly code for the 970,
it should be possible to reach over 3x speedup.

Have you tried running GMPbench with your changes?

  The attached G5_64bit_files.zip archive contains the following:
   a file named G5_64bit_install.txt which gives the overall procedure with
     build instructions,

   a file named G5_64bit_patches.txt which has all of the configuration and
     code patches needed for existing GMP-4.1.4 files.  a folder named "970"
     which contains ten new files specifically for the 970.

Would you, and your employer, be willing to sign the configure
changes over to the FSF?

(I am not certain they will be useful in their present state,
since we've rewritten the configuration system in the development
sources.)

I notice that you've dropped many copyright years from the
assembly code.  That's not good.  You need to preserve such
things when editing GPL files.