64-bit GMP on Apple G5/OS X v10.4

pbmcl at netscape.net pbmcl at netscape.net
Sun Apr 24 08:18:01 CEST 2005

Apple's latest version of OS X (10.4 Tiger, to be released April 29th) includes support for true 64-bit operation on its G5 models which use the PowerPC 970 processor. Using a pre-release version of Tiger, I have been able to build and use a 64-bit version of GMP-4.1.4 without problems. The 64-bit build of Paul Zimmerman's GMP-ECM program runs  2.2 to 2.3 times faster than the 32-bit version.

The attached G5_64bit_files.zip archive contains the following:
 a file named G5_64bit_install.txt which gives the overall procedure with build instructions,
 a file named G5_64bit_patches.txt which has all of the configuration and code patches needed for existing GMP-4.1.4 files.
 a folder named "970" which contains ten new files specifically for the 970.

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with the GMP developers. If you have questions or run into any problems please contact me, not them.

Phil McLaughlin

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.