Division by 2

DTAshley@aol.com DTAshley@aol.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 19:41:51 EDT

--part1_19a.1453b198.2be45c3f_boundary

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.  That clarifies it.

I have a .PDF of the manual which I believe I obtained by using Acrobat
Distiller on a .PS file which was included in the tar.gz (I think).  My
version does not have that prose.  Most likely mechanism is that HTML is
different than the .PS (which is kind of a documentation bug).

I'll e-mail you the .PDF (but won't send it to the list).  If you find that
prose, let me know.

Best regards, Dave.

In a message dated 5/2/2003 7:31:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
user42@zip.com.au writes:

> DTAshley@aol.com writes:
> >
> >What version of the manual?
>
> 4.1.2.
>
> >I have 4.1.2, which I downloaded very recently.  "Efficiency" is not
> >in the index.
>
> If you're looking at it with the stand-alone info program, check
> you're not hitting a version under /usr/info or /usr/share/info
> instead.  It searches INFOPATH if you don't give a full path.
>
> In any case the node is
>
>   http://www.swox.com/gmp/manual/Efficiency.html
>
> and the relevant text is merely
>
> `2exp' functions
>    It's up to an application to call functions like `mpz_mul_2exp'
>    when appropriate.  General purpose functions like `mpz_mul' make
>    no attempt to identify powers of two or other special forms,
>    because such inputs will usually be very rare and testing every
>    time would be wasteful.

--part1_19a.1453b198.2be45c3f_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks a lot for your reply.&nbsp; That clarifies it.<BR>
<BR>
I have a .PDF of the manual which I believe I obtained by using Acrobat Dist=
iller on a .PS file which was included in the tar.gz (I think).&nbsp; My ver=
sion does not have that prose.&nbsp; Most likely mechanism is that HTML is d=
ifferent than the .PS (which is kind of a documentation bug).<BR>
<BR>
I'll e-mail you the .PDF (but won't send it to the list).&nbsp; If you find=20=
that prose, let me know.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards, Dave.<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 5/2/2003 7:31:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, user42@zip.com=
.au writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">DTAshley@aol.com writes:<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;What version of the manual?<BR>
<BR>
4.1.2.<BR>
<BR>
&gt;I have 4.1.2, which I downloaded very recently.&nbsp; "Efficiency" is no=
t<BR>
&gt;in the index.<BR>
<BR>
If you're looking at it with the stand-alone info program, check<BR>
you're not hitting a version under /usr/info or /usr/share/info<BR>
instead.&nbsp; It searches INFOPATH if you don't give a full path.<BR>
<BR>
In any case the node is<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; http://www.swox.com/gmp/manual/Efficiency.html<BR>
<BR>
and the relevant text is merely<BR>
<BR>
`2exp' functions<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; It's up to an application to call functions like `mpz_mul_2exp'=
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; when appropriate.&nbsp; General purpose functions like `mpz_mul=
' make<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; no attempt to identify powers of two or other special forms,<BR=

&nbsp;&nbsp; because such inputs will usually be very rare and testing every=
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; time would be wasteful.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_19a.1453b198.2be45c3f_boundary--