Fwd: License Compliance Question

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux@peaktime.be
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:29:04 +0200

DTAshley@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I joined the GMP list and made one post (a licensing question, e-mail
> attached), but it does not seem to have made it through.  Did anyone
> receive it?
>
> Is the list working?

Seems to be working, but *very* slowly. It can take several days before
one recives an answer. Whether the butler did it... err... the majordomo
  does not run very often, or there are just not many list members, I
dont know.

Regarding the license: I would say you have an overly restrictive view
of the LGPL.

Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

First, the LGPL (IMHO) places no restriction on *use*. Thus, using GMP
in your web site does not require you to make sources (yours, or GMP)
available. Also, for those who download the sources, "However, if you
use these files with the GMP you will still have to honor whatever
license terms apply": *use* is not restricted.

LGPL does restrict *distribution*, especially in binary form. If you
*did* distribute in binary, then (1) the GMP sources, including all
modifications by you, have to be available (2) the application may *not*
be statically linked, because that would prevent people from using it
with another release of GMP.

As for *your* sources, it may not be the best solution to declare them
"I place no restrictions on the files which I'm making available (i.e.
they are unlicensed)". You do not explicitly place them in the public
domain, nor do you renounce your copyright, and "unlicensed" is
ambiguous. Why not GPL them?

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles