Volunteering/applying for AWS OSS credits?

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Jan 16 11:58:02 UTC 2020

Derek Chen-Becker <dchenbecker at gmail.com> writes:

  Disclaimer: I work for AWS, but my interest in GMP is for personal projects

  Hello,

  I noticed on the website that the site, email, etc, are running on older
  hardware and that a single person is maintaining the site. I would like to
  volunteer to help in whatever capacity I can to maintain the site, etc. I
  used to be the webmaster for gnu.org, and I've been doing Sysadmin work on
  Linux for many years.

  Also, since you're running on older hardware, I was wondering if you would
  consider applying for OSS credits with AWS to run on newer instances there:

  https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/opensource/aws-promotional-credits-open-source-projects/

  I can help with forms, etc, if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer to help.

Unfortunately, there are several reasons why we will not consider
running the GMP site on AWS.  One is that the GNU project strongly
believe in Free Software and that your infrastructure should adhere to
that principle.

Also, it is not clear to me that relying on "the cloud" under US
jurisdiction is any more secure than running it in Europe.  The laws of
the US and the US government's practice is a major menace to anything
which runs there.  We have privacy invading laws here too, but the
situation is much less bad here.

Third, I think any company which for example does not allow its
minimum-paid workers proper breaks for going to the bathroom is too
horrible to do business with.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622