A contribution to GMP

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Wed Oct 23 23:26:56 CEST 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Lukasz Komsta wrote:

> I know about MPFR and noticed some time ago that it contains such
> functions, but I have not tested this library as I had no time to switch
> my codes to it. However, I will do it soon.
>
> I developed my functions during several long evenings to deal with some
> problems on computational cluster with installed GMP, not forcing
> administrator to install MPFR.
>
> I do not know if there is a trend to suspend GMP in floating point
> partand urge users to switch to MPFR - if so, my work was only for fun.
> However, I cannot deduce such feeling from GMP page

On the homepage gmplib.org:
"Externally supported: High-level floating-point accurately rounding
arithmetic functions (mpfr). See the mpfr site for more information.
Starting with GMP 4.2, mpfr is released separately from GMP. (New projects
should consider using mpfr instead of GMP's own mpf.)"

> and "plans" page include developing of such functions.

The projects.html page? Below that item, it says "Note that the mpfr
functions already provide these functions, and that we usually recommend
new programs to use mpfr instead of mpf."

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to duplicate the work in GMP and MPFR
and that item should disappear, but I am only speaking for myself here,
you can wait and see if others have comments.

> If they can be somehow used, its my pleasure.

Maybe some parts of the code could be used to improve some MPFR functions?

> I am just installing MPFR under Cygwin and will play a bit with MPFR,
> noticing about my conclusions.

Let us (and the mpfr developers) know how it goes.

Thanks again for contributing,

--
Marc Glisse