A contribution to GMP

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Oct 24 00:09:48 CEST 2013

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

  On the homepage gmplib.org:
  "Externally supported: High-level floating-point accurately rounding
  arithmetic functions (mpfr). See the mpfr site for more
  information. Starting with GMP 4.2, mpfr is released separately from
  GMP. (New projects should consider using mpfr instead of GMP's own
  mpf.)"

We might want to re-phrase it somewhat, perhaps just "consider" ->
"seriously consider", or even "New projects should use mpfr since mpf is
slower, less complete, and not actively developed".

  In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to duplicate the work in GMP and
  MPFR and that item should disappear, but I am only speaking for myself
  here, you can wait and see if others have comments.

I don't want to work on integrating any new mpf developments.  But if
one of the other committers want to do that, I won't try to "veto" it.