New T3/T4 code batch

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Thu Apr 4 03:53:18 CEST 2013

From: Torbjorn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 03:26:31 +0200

> David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> writes:
>
>   I can tell by looking at the commit that it's still broken, can you
>   please stop jumping the gun and simply be patient enough for me to
>   test things out?
>
> Since I am wrapping up, I wanted to push things and clean out unfinished
> things.
>
> Why is is such a big deal if things don't work at first try?  You're
> asking a lot from me.

I'm just annoyed a bit only because I work pretty consistently to give
you full feedback when you ask for testing within 24 hours.  And this
includes weekends and holidays.

Why it is such a big deal to simply wait until you get the feedback,
what's the rush? :-)

> I read the fine manual, and it specifies lzcnt.  OK, there is a footnote
> about a deprecated mnemonic 'lzd'.

Oracle specifies a lot of impractical deprecations of existing
mnenomics in the UA2011 manual.  For example, they also want to phase
out "ldd" for integer registers and start to call it "ldtwa".  I wish
them a lot of luck with that.

Besides, the manual can say whatever it wants, it's what the assembler
accepts that matters, right? :-)

BTW, I added support for all of the VIS3 instructions to binutils in
2011, so build testing ought to not be that hard even on pre-T3
machines.

Thanks!