Bug tracking system for GMP

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Nov 26 11:32:31 CET 2010

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

  On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

  > I think the GMP project needs a bug tracking system.
  > Hopefully, it will be an improvement for users, and also
  > make it easier to contribute bug fixes.
  >
  > I'd like something that is simple to setup.  Pretty graphics is
  > secondary.

  It depends whether you really want to run your own bug tracker on
  gmplib.org or you are fine with using one of the preexisting
  infrastructures like savannah (I have no experience with this one in
  particular, it just seems very GNU :-). I believe the second
  alternative would be less trouble.

I am afraid I don't know what to expect from a bug tracker, and what it
can do.

Apparently some of the systems suggested here can do lots of stuff I
don't know how to make use of.  Why do they connect to a SCM?

The main problem I am trying to solve is to make sure non-solved issues
are not forgotten.  I keep a private list of issues in a text file in a
directory in my computer.  This does not encourage cooperation, and I
might accidentally miss a bug due to editing mistakes.  There is no bugs
history.

I also have some hopes that I will get more help fixing minor problems.

>From a GMP user's perspective, it might be useful to see the kind of
problems exist as well as the problem resolving process.  The gmp-bugs
list serve that purpose today, but in a less accessible way.

To me, Bugzilla seems sufficient for the needs I see.  The suggested
system "trac" apparently provides many more features, but I don't see
the need for them.  But I admit to being conservative when it comes to
fancy web applications.  :-)