Source for libgmp 10.4.1

Anders Andersson pipatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:45:28 CEST 2023

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 12:28 PM Laurent Rineau
<laurent.rineau at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Monday, September 18, 2023 9:08:18 PM CEST Lucas Gonze wrote:
> > Hello libgmp world.
> >
> > I wonder if the community has any ideas about how to get to the state of
> > the source code at or near the 10.4.1 build. I have not yet been able to
> > find a tag or release in the Mercurial repo, though this may be due to my
> > limited skills with Mercurial.
> > This is for the purpose of complying with the requirements of the GPL. My
> > purpose is helping a developer who linked with that build in making source
> > available.
>
> My guess is that the "10.4.1" is part of the shared library name
>     libgmp.so.10.4.1
>
> That library name corresponds to GMP version 6.2.1.
>
> You probably obtained libgmp from a Linux distribution. You should use your
> distribution tools to get the name of the package that installed it, and then
> search for the sources that were used to produce that package.

Not only would this give the right GMP version, but also catch any
downstream patches that may have been included. (Perhaps unlikely in
something like GMP)

A bit off-topic, but I'm now curious how GMP 6.2.1 can turn into
libgmp.so.10.4.1. What's the logical connection? Who makes the
numbering decision?