A question of license

Steve Ward planet36 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 02:23:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 3:47 AM Torbjörn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> wrote:

> "ambai.masaki at fujitsu.com" <ambai.masaki at fujitsu.com> writes:
>
>   I noticed that the license of gmp is published as " GNU LGPL v3 and
>   GNU GPL v2" as declared on https://gmplib.org/ .
>   ----------------
>   Since version 6, GMP is distributed under the dual licenses, GNU LGPL
>   v3 and GNU GPL v2. These licenses make the library free to use, share,
>   and improve, and allow you to pass on the result. The GNU licenses
>   give freedoms, but also set firm restrictions on the use with non-free
>   programs.
>   ----------------
>   The license did be modified to " GNU LGPL v3 and GNU GPL v2" on 27 Jan
> 2014 in the following commit:
>   https://gmplib.org/repo/gmp-6.1/rev/da670a8513db
>   But on 31 Aug 2014, two new files were added into gmp, and these two
>   files are not " GNU LGPL v3 and GNU GPL v2" but "GNU LGPL v3" only.
>   https://gmplib.org/repo/gmp-6.1/rev/dead77cd3b7c
>   So, are these newer two files have wrong license?
>
> Oh, darn.  We will sort this ASAP.
>
> Thank you for noticing and letting us know!
>
> We will add a script making sure this does not happen again, and make
> sure there are no more examples with the unintended header.
>
> --
> Torbjörn
> Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622

Torbjörn,

For your consideration, an SPDX license ID could specify a license in a
succinct machine-readable way.  For example:
// SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-3.0-only OR GPL-2.0-only

I haven't used the SPDX automated tools, but I have replaced instances of
copyright and license verbiage in my code with "SPDX-FileCopyrightText" and
"SPDX-License-Identifier" lines.

Steve

https://spdx.dev/ids/
https://spdx.org/licenses/