gmp refuses to build c++ headers

John Perry John.Perry at usm.edu
Wed Aug 5 02:31:23 UTC 2020

I am sorry my message came across as sarcastic. That was not my intent, though upon rereading I can see how my wording could make it seem that way.

I also apologize for not stating my question clearly. I wanted to know if I was using the configure command correctly to build gmp’s C++ headers with clang++. vk answered my question in the affirmative (and did more than I had wanted).

I did find a solution: I deleted the gmp source directory, re-extracted from the archive, then configured and compiled in this new directory. This time, it compiled perfectly, with no errors. ‘make check’ passed all tests. ‘make install’ worked: I was able to compile, link, and execute two client programs.

I have since compiled successfully with g++, then again with clang++ (after a ‘make distclean’ each time). Both worked.

In the end, I have no idea what went wrong, but Torbjörn and vk did help.

john perry