GMP used during 3 and a half years to solve MIT's LCS35

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri May 3 09:42:30 UTC 2019

Bernard Fabrot <bfabrot at gmail.com> writes:

  And I take it the speedup also comes, in addition from the :

  64 bit : wow the speedup!
  clock speed
  better GMP algos

  from the fact that some instructions are using less cycles than they used
  to. I mean: even after the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit: then some 64 bit
  instructions used less cycles with new CPU generations?

Some instructions are faster.  GMP's favourite instruction, word integer
multiply, has become faster, and even more importantly has its
throughput improved.  (But Pentium 3 had an very well implemented
multiply instruction.)

Most instructions take the same time (e.g., plain arithmetic such as
addition, loads, stores, and branches).

The IPC has improved by means of a whole array of minor improvements.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622