Reg: GMP LGPL3 License

Cade Brown brown.cade at gmail.com
Wed May 17 19:32:22 UTC 2017

I'm resending this, because gmp-discuss got removed from `To:`

The legality of linking and including LGPL code is much more 'lawyer
oriented' for version 3, so I understand your confusion.

Using https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.en.html and https://www.gnu.org/
licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html , I can see that you only need to include
`Installation Information` if the GPL section 6 requires you too. Here is
the relevant portions from GPL3, section 6: https://pastebin.com/hvX02ZbY

As we can see from that, `Installation Information` is "any methods,
procedures, authorization keys, or other information required to install
and execute modified versions of a covered work in that User Product from a
modified version of its Corresponding Source". So essentially, any barriers
keeping users from installing a source or object version of a project.

A few interesting clauses that may be relevant:

  * If neither you or any other 3rd party have the right to install
software on the `User Product`, you may not have to relinquish Installation
Information (for example, if you wrote a ROM-space program, or perhaps a
kernel).
  * You must publish Installation Information publicly, and it must not
require any passwords/keys/etc to read.
  * As with most GPL software, there is no guarantee of merchantability,
warranty, etc.
  * It *sounds* (not concretely) like installation instructions do not have
to support all platforms. For example, GMP is known to be extremely hard to
compile on Windows (you have to use MINGW/CYGWIN, or use something like
MPIR), and so installation instructions for Windows may be missing or
incomplete.

If you make GMP optional (even though it is slow without it) or detected, I
am confident that not including installation instructions for your
program/library would be fine.

Although, I do ask, do you not want to share installation instructions? If
you are fine with sharing them, I think doing that would be easiest.

If you still don't want to share, I'll need a bit more details about your
project.

What is your project: is it a library, or a application/program (which is
an executable)?

​Thanks,

~
Cade Brown
Lead Programmer For L&N STEMpunks FRC#3966
chemicaldevelopment.us