Permission denied on a.out in ./configure

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Sep 18 19:55:59 UTC 2014

Clayton Daley <clayton.daley at gmail.com> writes:

  FYI... I checked umask and that did't fix it.

  I would also argue that gmp is responsible (at least partly) since
  configure *does* actually find a working compiler, but believes otherwise
  (because it doesn't have execute permissions). It still may be right to
  raise an error instead of continuing the install (e.g. if configure or make
  actually needs execute privileges to files), but that's something I had to
  ask here to confirm.

GMP cannot run its checks for whether the compiler works without being
able to execute elementary tests.

It is not realistic to expect the configure process to try to diagnose
the reasons why executables don't work.  It can be hundreds of reasons,
including various file systems modes and file protection mechanisms
(file mode bits, ACLs, file flags, mount mode, etc) and space issues
(full disk, inode shortage, exceeded quota, etc).

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622