`configure' Problem: Building within the GCC Tree

Bernd Edlinger bernd.edlinger at hotmail.de
Fri Nov 28 17:03:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:26:47. Marc Glisse wrote:

> Did you try a daily snapshot?
> https://gmplib.org/download/snapshot/
> I thought we had updated not that long ago.

Ok, I tried with the latest snapshot.

I see, that you used autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.11.6.
That is the current autoconf and an old automake version.
But the current automake version 1.14.1 just made things
worse.

The difference is, previously this used to work:

./configure LEX="$PWD/missing flex"

But with automake 1.14.1 this does no longer work,
because the new missing does not create a dummy lex.yy.c
any more.

However, I see nothing wrong with your configure.ac
The problems start as soon as you use AM_PROG_LEX
and it is not easy to avoid, if you want the same flexibilty.

But in the case of GMP all this is only there to optionally build
the demos.  And given how much trouble this AM_PROG_LEX
caused in the past and still does, I start to think that it would
be wise to split the GMP configure script in two parts:
one for the library and test suite, and separate configure script
for the demo programs.

Thanks,
Bernd.