gmp install (really need ur reply)

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Aug 21 09:16:40 CEST 2013

maryam safiyah <safiyah88 at gmail.com> writes:

> tried to install gmp buat failed.
> really need urhelp..

First two general points:

1. To track down problems with the configure run, it's usually helpful
   to examine config.log, to see which command failed, and what error
   messages it gave.

2. For help with gmp installation issues, the gmp-discuss list is a more
   appropriate forum than gmp-bugs.

> and here's the result :

> checking for ar... ar
> ./configure: line 10739: AC_PROG_NM: command not found

I guess this means that the program "nm" (for listing the symbols in an
object file) is not installed or not found. It's usually part of the GNU
binutils package. Check config.log to see what really goes wrong.

> checking if globals are prefixed by underscore... ./configure: line 13578:
> conftest.o: command not found
> unknown

And this might be a symptom of the same problem.

On ubuntu or debian, I think an easy way to get all build dependencies
is something like

  apt-get install build-essential
  apt-get build-dep gmp