Use of the __GMP_CC and __GMP_CFLAGS macros

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Fri Oct 5 17:12:39 CEST 2012

On October 5, 2012 06:54:12 AM Marc Glisse wrote:

> Now we can discuss removing these lines as a possible enhancement. It
> could be as easy as adding a couple lines to the doc: "Distributors who
> provide GMP packages for the default architecture of their platform, with
> only generic optimization options, are advised to remove those 2 lines
> which would provide no useful information and could mislead users". We
> could even add a configure option --disable-compile-flags-in-gmp-h to
> help.

OK, so is the issue then that the ABI choice is mixed in compile flags along
with extraneous stuff like -O2 vs -O3?

If the goal is to provide information on the ABI that gmp is compiled with,
could symbols related to *ONLY* to the ABI be added automatically to gmp.h?

My worry is that a binary choice of "all compile flags" or "no compile flags" is
too coarse grained.  For one thing, supposing a distribution does choose a
non-default ABI one day: we're back to this issue that there will be extra
options mixed in with the compile flags and Vincent will be unhappy again :-)

Regards,
-Steve