GMP 5.0.5 build fails with tcc due to x86_64 asm (unknown register...)

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Tue Jun 19 23:36:49 CEST 2012

Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:

  This is becoming silly. I was just explaining that there is no such
  thing as "the Unix way", except what is defined by some standard,
  like POSIX. Do you have a well-accepted document saying that a C
  compiler must support asm? If not, do not assume that.

What does the dear POSIX documents tell about translating assembly code
to object code?  Oh, they don't define that?  Oppsie, we must remove all
assembly code from GMP right away...!

My approach is to make things work.  Standards help, but they are not
scripture.  It is like the earth and maps.  Maps help, but I tend to
swerve a hill even if it not on the map.