Why am I getting the wrong output?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Jul 15 00:28:22 CEST 2012

Hi Torbjorn,

first of all I should note that someone on #gnu on Freenode had alreaedy helped
me and everything is now working beautifully.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:29:58 +0200
Torbjorn Granlund <tg at gmplib.org> wrote:

> Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> writes:
>
>   GMP: 4444 % 52 ==  28
>   [C]: 4444 % 52 ==  24
>
>   Why?
>
> Why not?  Did you expect something else?

Well, I naïvely expected mpz_cdiv_qr_ui to do a floor division/modulo (having
not read the documentation thoroughly enough), but I wanted "fdiv" (floor
division) instead of "cdiv".

>   Is this a bug?
>
> In GMP, you mean?  No, it computes the remainder exactly as documented.
>
> I doubt the C remainder operator % is ddfined to do ceiling rounding on
> any system.  It is certainly not required to do that, so your C compiler
> is also DTRT.

I understand. Thanks.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

P.S: sending messages to listadmin at gmplib.org (and the aliases of *-owner) from
either shlomif at shlomifish.org or shlomif at gmail.com generates this message:

<< Recipient address rejected: Address blocked due to spamming. Please contact
us by phone for listadmin issues. (state 13). >>

Can this be fixed?