Parallelizing GMP

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Sat Oct 29 22:25:12 CEST 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it wrote:

> Il Sab, 29 Ottobre 2011 10:03 am, Marc Glisse ha scritto:
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Kentaro Yamamoto wrote:
>>> I am using GMP for computing modular exponentiation by repeated
>>> squaring (since the power are always a power of 2 and the modulus has
>
> If the exponent is always a power of 2, then you do only use squarings.

Oups, there goes my remark about computing the transform of both arguments
in parallel ;-)

> Marc, you also tested openmp somehow, didn't you?
> http://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-devel/2009-April/000826.html

A little, yes. I remember adding some openmp to mul_fft at a few places
(including between the 2 (sadly unbalanced) ffts when there used to be a
fft_full, where the OP put it, and between the decompositions of the 2
arguments of the multiplication), and parallelizing toom7 and karatsuba
too.

But those were more experiments to play with openmp than real good ideas
for gmp. For one, I believe there is supposed to be a new fft code in gmp
some day ;-) And then the best parallel algorithm is not necessarily the
best single-threaded one with little tweaks, it may require a different
design.

--
Marc Glisse