reading binary file content into an mpz_t variable

foxmuldrster at yahoo.com foxmuldrster at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 09:48:13 CET 2011

Sam,

This is a most unhelpful response. Obviously we cannot debug his code
without seeing it, and since he didn't post it it's equally obvious he's not
wanting his algorithm debugged, but is asking rather for an existing similar
implementation in code that he can reference or examine, or to have the
process explained in ways he can then apply to code, such as pseudo code or
step-by-step methods.

I do not understand why some of the exceedingly unhelpful posts are even
posted in this list. A little code, a little reference to the general
process involved is so much more helpful than a response like "can't help
without seeing your code" or "that's documented on page 5,783 in the manual,
did you read it [jerk!]?" as Torbjorn routinely posts.

Aaaargh! I've never met so mant arrogant, unhelpful, elitist people as I
have on some of the GNU project lists. Why is that? So many of the people
who offer up source code to GNU are the most follow-on unhelpful,
inconsiderate developers around. And why? There's nothing to be gained with
an unhelpful response like this. It only builds up walls between ALL users
and the project itself (and those developing it), places animosity between
newbies looking to USE (not become totally fluent in, but use for their app)
this amazing tool for their project, which is the very purpose of employing
free software.

Is it too much to ask, given the nature of MOST people's USER needs, that
you all consider that:

1) Not everybody wants or needs to spend so much time reading through an
entire manual or section, when a proper response to a question would address
their needs, such as might be found more traditionally in a google search on
the more widely used projects, but since GMP is so narrowly used people
often HAVE to come here,

2) These are people, human beings with feelings and personal
wants/wishes/needs, who have likely tried to use what they know and what
should be obvious or intuitive, only to have it break down with GMP,

3) The smallest quantity of non-manual directed help, with even pseudo-code
goes so far to help and creates a better image for the project, and be
generally helpful for the user.

Day after day I read these arrogant, cold, in-human responses to people's
questions that are what you would occasionally get on other projects, but
not more often than generally helpful ones (except on other GNU projects).
It's so demeaning.

Maybe you need to hire a go-between or create a wiki to common questions,
something Google crawls so users can try there first.

- Rick C. Hodgin