One quadrillion digits of pi

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Sep 1 08:57:06 CEST 2010

Tsz Wo Sze <szetszwo at yahoo.com> writes:

  Quoted from http://gmplib.org/pi-with-gmp.html
  "...  A planned future version of GMP will allow the patient and wealthy to
  compute up to at least 1 quadrillion (1015) digits, and unlike current GMP, this
  future GMP will operate fine with operands on disk. You'll need around 4000
  high-end swap disks in order to compute 1 quintillion digits, but surely that
  will qualify you for a discount ("buy 4000, pay for 3999")."

  Do you really have such plan?

Yes, we really plan to make GMP able to calculate with such large
numbers.

  I might be wrong but I think that there is a gap
  between the current (hardware) technology and being able to compute 1
  quadrillion (1015) digits of pi.  For 1 quintillion digits, it sounds impossible
  to me unless there are new major breakthroughs on either hardware or algorithms.

Or a breakthrough in patience.