One quadrillion digits of pi

Tsz Wo Sze szetszwo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 01:04:29 CEST 2010

Quoted from http://gmplib.org/pi-with-gmp.html
"...  A planned future version of GMP will allow the patient and wealthy to
compute up to at least 1 quadrillion (1015) digits, and unlike current GMP, this
future GMP will operate fine with operands on disk. You'll need around 4000
high-end swap disks in order to compute 1 quintillion digits, but surely that
will qualify you for a discount ("buy 4000, pay for 3999")."

Do you really have such plan?  I might be wrong but I think that there is a gap
between the current (hardware) technology and being able to compute 1
quadrillion (1015) digits of pi.  For 1 quintillion digits, it sounds impossible
to me unless there are new major breakthroughs on either hardware or algorithms.

(self-advisement)
BTW, do you know what value is the two quadrillionth bit of Pi?
See http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3171

Enjoy!
Tsz-Wo