GPGPU support

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 11 12:18:56 CEST 2010

>> > I have an idea to approach SIMD differently for this kind of parallel
>> > processing (using algorithms which are not inherently geared toward a
>> > native port to SIMD).  Is there someone on this list who would be
>> > willing to discuss this possibility with me?
>
>> Of course i'm very interested in all this.
>> Parallellization using vector cores (not so much SIMD) is very
>> complicated.
>>
>> The dominant hardwqare is AMD currently. It delivers 4.6+ or more tflop
>> (single precision) versus nvidia 1+ Tflop.
>>
>> Most projects are CUDA, for unknown reason to me.
>
> CUDA probably because they have higher-level library support.  AMD's CTM
> is a little low-level for most.

Some years ago you simply could not download CTM.

> My thoughts on this idea are these, and forgive me because I have not
> written these down formally, but have them off the top of my head:

> Basically, create a back-end compiler that explicitly knows about CPU +
> GPU implementation for the target (such as x86-64 / AMD), one that uses
> a combination of CPU + GPU synchronization to conduct the vector
> computing based on the regular C code rules for a single operation, but
> applied to the logic necessary over multiple vector lanes.

back-end compiler, pardon me?

GPU's are very sensitive things. They are not very compatible.
Some things they can do very fast if you , very low level, program them
and know how to vectorize things.

Everything else they suck at or simply cannot do.

So only a few specific things are interesting to do inside a GPU.

Generic compilers are very compatible things, my expertise is low level,
not high level wasting cycles :)

> Normally, the C code would be compiled into something the CPU would
> serialize into the binary, at runtime it would execute, testing the
> logic, performing the operations, etc.

> In this new back-end, it would take the front-end parsed set of
> instructions on what to execute, and how to conduct logic, and instead
> of generating the output to conduct that logic to a single serial
> instruction stream which would execute on the CPU, it would instead
> generate the logic equivalent of what's being required as is necessary
> for vector computing, meaning all logic at each stage interacts with the
> CPU to determine what operations go in to each lane on successive
> iterations based on whatever the natural numbers being computed
> indicate.

A compiler for the GPU already exists, but it is secret AFAIK.

I'm guessing it exists, as it would answer all questions why no one is
doing effort to port some math functions to it.

Yet a generic thing for a gpu is going to be very difficult to implement.

AMD is the only interesting hardware there as it is cheap and simply
fastest and 10 years from now still will be fastest.

I wrote this during work hours, more text when at home.

ttyl.