attribute mode is unknown (Sun cc)

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 8 20:10:21 CET 2010

> To: jay
> CC: gmp-discuss
> Subject: Re: attribute mode is unknown (Sun cc)
> From: tg
> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:35:32 +0100
>
> Jay K writes:
>
> You said it wasn't "safe".
> Why? How can I make it safe?
> I'd rather not autoconf it, but I'm willing to make some assumptions.
> Perhaps it was already adequate for my taste though.
> I need/want it to compile with compilers other than gcc.
> And to be correct.
> But not a huge assortment of compilers/architectures.
> Mainly just Sun cc, and gcc.
>
> It compiles with lots and lots of compilers. Now Oracle in their
> infinite wisdom have decided to accept what is actually a syntax error,
> meaning that our autoconf tests are fooled. I am not sure how to
> address that. Why don't you report this to Oracle, a syntax error
> reported as a warning is a compiler bug, imho.

btw, I don't think it was Oracle, I think it was Sun.
It even compiles as it was, but with warning..
Is it safe even then? Where all those types are just unsigned/int?

I haven't reported it. I might.
But this is on a machine I don't control.
So I'd also have to wait for a fix, if they agree it is a bug,
convince owner to install it, and hope that nobody else has
the other (granted, I don't have many users, so...)
Not great all around.

I could also just require gcc.
gcc is on these machines.
Historically we used gcc when Sun's compiler cost extra.

 - Jay