Interested in theory and design behind gmp

Wout de Zeeuw wout at woutware.com
Tue Oct 13 23:49:59 CEST 2009

Hi everybody,

I'm a programmer with a physics background and I have developed an interest in the field of exact arithmetic. Thus I inevitably ended up at the GMP library. But, my primary motive is gaining understanding of the theory and design decisions on how to build multi-precision code, and not using GMP or another component off the shelf. I want to gain lower level knowledge to start building components in C# (or java). I explicitly do not want to wrap GMP in some C# layer as hard performance is not my motive. As a side product I want to document the whole design/implementation process, so people could apply this on any random platform (java, ruby, whatever).

With this in mind, I'm looking for ways to get familiar with the subject. This could be books, or following courses at university, or perhaps hiring somebody who is well at home at the subject to inject know-how into my head. If anybody has advice or can offer me help on this, do drop me a note!

All help is appreciated!

Wout

e-mail: wout at woutware.com