After installation, 'gmp.h' and 'libgmp' seems to have different versions (4.2.4/4.2.2)

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.org
Tue Mar 31 15:29:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-03-31 11:47:00 +0100, David Michel wrote:
> I'm trying to install the newest GMP 4.2.4 so I downloaded the file
> gmp-4.2.4.tar.gz from the website, did the typical ./configure, make,
> make check, and finally make install. All is fine and runs without
> warnings or error.
>
> I then try to install MPFR 2.4.1 but I get a warning at the configure stage:
>
> checking if gmp.h version and libgmp version are the same... (4.2.4/4.2.2) no
> configure: WARNING: 'gmp.h' and 'libgmp' seems to have different versions or
> configure: WARNING: we cannot run a program linked with GMP (if you cannot
> configure: WARNING: see the version numbers above).
> configure: WARNING: However since we can't use 'libtool' inside the configure,
> configure: WARNING: we can't be sure. See 'config.log' for details.

Could you please have a look at the MPFR FAQ?

  http://www.mpfr.org/faq.html#undef_ref1

(the diagnostic is different, but the problem is the same).

> I checked /usr/local/include/gmp.h and it is effectively at version 4.2.4.
> However, when I locate libgmp, I don't see any libgmp.so.4.2.2 or
> similar...I only have the 3.4.2
> which was installed previously with my ubuntu distribution.

Forget what is after the ".so": this numbering is different from
the library version. Use the "strings" command to look at the
version from a library file (I don't know whether there's a more
practical way).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>