GMP lib in embedded environments

Michał spock2 at o2.pl
Thu Mar 12 12:09:09 CET 2009

Hello,

I am considering using GMP library as a base for ECC (elliptic curve
cryptography) implementation in embedded environments. I am very new to
this library and because of that I have a few very basic questions.

I have read that GMP lib supports ARM architecture. But I actually
couldn’t find on exactly which microcontrollers it was ran successfully.
I am especially interested in ARM7 chips e.g. AT91SAM7X256. Is it
possible to compile and run GMP lib for this microcontroller?

Another question regards using GMP lib on much less efficient
architectures e.g. AVR. I know that GMP lib doesn`t have special support
for AVR. But still C build of the library is possible. Does anyone have
some experience in using GMP lib on AVR microcontrollers? Is it possible
to use "clear C" build of the library on architectures that does not
have a lot of RAM (e.g. on avr 4KB)?

Kind Regards
Michal M.