help with memory usage

Christ Schlacta aarcane at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:31:34 CET 2009

I'm just an old man with a bit of enthusiasm for prime numbers, so
I've given myself a few simple goals:
1) use all available CPU power to generate prime numbers
2) find the largest prime number I can and hope it's a new record
3) be able to view the largest prime I've found, the last number I've
tested, and the whole list of primes any time I want.

Given my simple goals, and my current programming level, I think the
bitmap idea is a bit beyond me for now, but I will put it on my list
of skills to learn for prime4 or prime5.  I just built prime2 earlier
today using an std::list, and when I loaded my entire list, I found I
was still using almost the same amount of memory and had the overhead
from the random insert and random read options which I don't need.

prime and prime2 are the names of the tiny prime finding programs I
wrote, and since prime2 is currently disk bound (:() I'm taking a few
days to brush up on new techniques to use in my mini-quest!

That said, the number I pasted earlier was of the "last number I've
tested" variety.  I'm not tracking whether that number is prime or not
yet.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas, and if you have any more, I'd
love to hear them!  I'm going to go now to mull over the bitmap idea
and how to best apply that~

--
 (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(='.'=) into your signature to help him gain