[PPL-devel] mpz_addmul_ui with ui = 1

Abramo Bagnara abramo.bagnara at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:21:14 CET 2009

Marc Glisse ha scritto:

> I believe that the check for 0 in mpz_mul actually falls in your first
> category, it is necessary for correctness (however, mpz_mul also checks
> whether one of the arguments fits in a single limb, which fits your
> description better). And the else path is supposedly already heavy
> enough that the penalty should not be too bad. Did you see a significant
> performance gain using 2) instead of 3)?

It depends from data set and optimizations done inside the library:
suppose we enter in mpz_mul 99% of the times with both operands below
1<<(sizeof(mp_limb_t)*4) and this is treated as a special case, then I
think that to avoid two extra comparison can make a difference.

My point is that to maximize performance the unavoidable path should be
the least computationally expensive.

--
Abramo Bagnara

Opera Unica                          Phone: +39.0546.656023
Via Borghesi, 16
48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy