Could we agree to disagree and come together on improvementsandclean-up?

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 31 14:58:50 CEST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Pelissier" <patrick.pelissier at gmail.com>
To: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au>
Cc: <gmp-discuss at swox.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: Could we agree to disagree and come together on
improvementsandclean-up?

>>> I don't understand why using the generic C version of GMP isn't
>>> enought for GCC needs on win64?
>>
>> That's a rather puzzling (to me) thing to say.
.
.
> I just means that GCC doesn't use 1/10 of the natural power of GMP.

Are you talking about GCC on *any* operating system ... or is this limited
to GCC on windows ?

> So I personally thinks that the generic version of GMP is good enough
> for mygwin64

And, I assume, you think the generic version is good enough on any other OS
where GCC is the compiler.

> and the problem that GCC depends on GMP.

Aaah ... I'm guessing this applies to gcc-4.x.x, but not gcc-3.x.x.
Are you saying that, if you're using gcc-4.x.x (on any OS), there's not much
gain from building a non-generic build of gmp ? (I note that the gcc version
provided by the MinGW64 project is a 4.x.x build.)

I'm not intending to be antagonistic or prevocative, btw ... it's really
just that I don't fully understand the point that you are making. (And I
accept that this lack of understanding is probably *my* failing, not yours.)

Cheers,
Rob