GMP license problem, anyone?

Torbjorn Granlund tg at swox.com
Fri May 30 14:17:20 CEST 2008

NightStrike <nightstrike at gmail.com> writes:

  For the record, I have been trying to get patches accepted for GMP to
  support Win64.  I am on the team that is porting GCC to Win64, and GCC
  requires GMP.  But GMP won't support Win64, which causes a problem.
  Until GMP supports Win64 (if ever), GCC on Win64 becomes extremely
  difficult, and at best we can just maintain local patches to GMP.

Supporting GMP properly for 64-bit Windoze is not so easy for several
reasons.

With "properly", I mean in sucbh a way that one does not need separate
assembly code.  And one needs to allow future assembly code to be
written without too much extra headache.  Therefore, one needs to set
up some sort of register aliasing using m4.

Why is that needed?  64-bit Windoze and the rest of the world use
completely different calling conventions; parameters are passed and
returned differently, the set of caller-saved registers is different,
etc.

It is sometimes said that it is hard to get GMP patches accepted.  One
reason for this is that most patches are really dirty, breaking things
for everything but the machine the patcher cares about.