AIX Questions

Perry Smith pedzsan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:42:06 CEST 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

> Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.org> writes:
>
>  If you have information on how to do this, we would be interested
>  for MPFR (note that Mac OS X on PowerPC is also concerned). But I
>  suppose that such a thing should first be added to the autotools.
>
> GCC's own libraries are compiled for all supported ABIs.
> They use the term "multilib" for this feature, I think.
>
> Adding multiplib support to GMP would be nice, but it is not clear how
> to do it.
>
> For one thing, we will need to generate *one* gmp.h supporting
> multiple limb sizes, then choose the proper definition based on
> compiler predefines.  I am afraid that such compiler predefines do not
> in general exist.
>
> Then we will need to comply to various library path conventions.

I'm happy with the AIX side of things.  And I would like to learn
about the autoconf stuff more.

I will poke around with the gcc libraries and see how they name things.

For normal object files in an archive like dog.o in foo.a, dog.o will
be in 32 bit mode.  And then foo.a will also have either dog.64o or
dog64.o which will have been compiled in 64 bit mode.

The shared objects from IBM tend to name them shr.o for 32 bit mode
and shr_64.o for 64 bit mode.

One side question: is the configure file with gmp and fpmr able to
compiled outside of the source?

There are already conventions for AIX for 64 bit mode as far as cpp
flags and I'm fairly sure that gcc follows them.

__64BIT__ is defined if the comiler is in 64 bit mode.

Perry
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems