GMP terminates when out of memory

Torbjorn Granlund tg at swox.com
Mon Dec 22 21:42:58 CET 2008

"Bjarke Roune" <bjarke at daimi.au.dk> writes:

  I am writing a C++ library, and it has been very convenient and
  efficient to use GMP. The thing is that I would like my library to
  recover from running out of memory, and using GMP seems to make this
  impossible, since the GMP documentation at

    http://gmplib.org/manual/Custom-Allocation.html

  states that

  "There's currently no defined way for the allocation functions to
  recover from an error such as out of memory, they must terminate
  program execution. A longjmp or throwing a C++ exception will have
  undefined results. This may change in the future."

  I am wondering whether this is likely to change soon, or if it is more
  like "if sometime in the future someone throws a nice patch at us,
  we'll consider applying it" ?

What sort of behaviour would you suggest?

I suppose much of this can be done with the custom allocation interface
already.