GMP terminates when out of memory

Bjarke Roune bjarke at daimi.au.dk
Sat Dec 13 06:56:56 CET 2008

I am writing a C++ library, and it has been very convenient and
efficient to use GMP. The thing is that I would like my library to
recover from running out of memory, and using GMP seems to make this
impossible, since the GMP documentation at

  http://gmplib.org/manual/Custom-Allocation.html

states that

"There's currently no defined way for the allocation functions to
recover from an error such as out of memory, they must terminate
program execution. A longjmp or throwing a C++ exception will have
undefined results. This may change in the future."

I am wondering whether this is likely to change soon, or if it is more
like "if sometime in the future someone throws a nice patch at us,
we'll consider applying it" ?

Cheers
Bjarke Hammersholt Roune