gmp and visual studio 2008

Brian Gladman brg at gladman.plus.com
Wed Apr 9 09:44:54 CEST 2008

dmt wrote:

>> I just found out about GMP and am trying to figure out how to install it
>> under visual studio 2008. I downloaded and extracted the most recent
>> version, but I don't know what to do next.
>>
>> I'm only marginally familiar with the ins and outs of visual studio ... I
>> can use it to create new projects and get them working, but I only have a
>> surface understanding of all the details (I mostly use it as a quick way
>> to write math code to help with some math work I need to do, which is why
>> I am very eager to get GMP working).
>>
>> I would be very happy if I could get some simple instructions on how to
>> get GMP set up so I can use it in my visual studio 2008 c++ programs.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Thanks for all the answers. I checked out Gladman's page and tried following
> the directions, but it isn't working.
>
> I have the Express edition, and I get an error saying that this version
> doesn't support solution folders. I saw something there about using 4.2.1
> with express edition, but then on the GMP site there only seems to be
> downloads for 4.2.2 ... does 4.2.2 not work with the express edition?

It' not GMP that doesn't work with VC++ Express, it's my GMP build
project.

It is possible to develop a build project for VC++ Express but it is not
all that easy because the way Express normally works is to convert a
file called 'name.c' into one called name.obj. But GMP has lots of files
with the same name so unless these are organised into folders, which
Express can't do, the *.obj files coming from different C files with the
same name overwrite each other.

It is possible to change the name of *.obj files in Express so that
duplicate files files with the name 'name.c' produce object files
name1.obj, name2.obj, ... but this requires a manual edit of the normal
build files.

Interestingly I think it would not be too hard to write a Python script
to convert my normal GMP build files into Express build files.

    best regards to all

       Brian Gladman