Windows Binaries for GMP 4.2.2

Michael Abshoff Michael.Abshoff at fsmath.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Sep 21 01:44:48 CEST 2007

Brian Gladman wrote:
> Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
>> You need to also publish along with these binaries the LGPL 3 license
>> and either the sources used for compiling these binaries, or
>> instructions how to obtain these sources.
>>
>> Please remember that GMP is not in the public domain.  It is GNU
>> licensed Free Software, and this license requires that everybody that
>> gets binaries or sources are informed about their rights that the
>> license gives them.
>>

> Thank you for this reminder, Torbjorn, I will modify the ZIP packages to
> include LGPL 3.
>
> Thanks also to Alexey and others for raising the issue of the
> relationship between the source code licensed under the LGPL 3 license
> and that licensed under the terms of the Microsoft VC++
> redistributables.  I had not realised that this had become an issue but
> a bit of googling suggests that it has generated quite a bit of debate
> in recent months but, sadly, no clear conclusions (as far as I can see).
>
> Anyway, my intention is to add a short note linking to all the sites
> where the components used to build these distributions are available
> (GMP, MPFR, the VC++ redistributables and my build projects), making it
> clear that: (a) it is the responsibility of anyone who uses these binary
> distributions to ensure that their use complies with all the individual
> licensing terms for these components, and (b) neither I nor the
> organisations hosting these distributions provide any assurances of any
> kind in respect of such matters.
>
> If anyone feels that this is insufficient, please do let me know.
>
> My thanks again to Torbjorn and Alexey for rasing these issues.
>
>      Brian Gladman

Hello all,

I have updated the zip archives by adding a copy of the LGPL V3 for gmp
and LGPL V2.1 for mpfr. In addition I also added the following license
text by Brian:

[begin license text]
Licensing of Windows Builds of GMP and MPFR using Microsoft Visual Studio
2005

END USER RESPONSIBILITIES
=========================

It is the responsibility of all users of this distribution to ensure that
their use complies with all the license terms for the components on which
it is based (as described below).

Neither the originator nor the organisation hosting this destribution
provide any assurances whatsoever in respect of this matter.

COMPONENTS ON WHICH THIS DISTRIBUTION DEPENDS

The following list provides the details of the components on which this
distribution depends (they are not distributed with this package and
must be obtained separately if needed).

1.  GMP
-------

    License:            LGPL 3
    Source Web Site:    http://gmplib.org/

2.  MPFR
--------

    License:            LGPL 2.1
    Source Web Site:    http://www.mpfr.org/

3.  GMP and MPFR VC++ Build Systems
-----------------------------------

    License:            Dual BSD/GPL (reproduced below)
    Source Web Site:    http://fp.gladman.plus.com

4.  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Packages

    License             Microsoft End User License Agreement
                        as included with the packages
    Source Web Site:    http://www.microsoft.com (see below)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
        ?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx
        ?familyid=90548130-4468-4BBC-9673-D6ACABD5D13B&displaylang=en

The Visual Studio 2005 GMP/MPFR Build Files license is:

 Copyright (c) 1998-2007, Brian Gladman, Worcester, UK. All rights reserved.

 LICENSE TERMS

 The free distribution and use of this software in both source and binary
 form is allowed (with or without changes) provided that:

   1. distributions of this source code include the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer;

   2. distributions in binary form include the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
      in the documentation and/or other associated materials;

   3. the copyright holder's name is not used to endorse products
      built using this software without specific written permission.

 ALTERNATIVELY, provided that this notice is retained in full, this product
 may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL),
 in which case the provisions of the GPL apply INSTEAD OF those given above.

 DISCLAIMER

 This software is provided 'as is' with no explicit or implied warranties
 in respect of its properties, including, but not limited to, correctness
 and/or fitness for purpose.

     Brian Gladman, Worcester, UK
     September 2007
[end license text]

I have reenable downloads (please let me know if there are any issues),
but I will be traveling for the new ten days, so my response might be more
sluggish than usual. If anybody sees a problem please let me know
immediately so that we can resolve it quickly.

Cheers,

Michael